Thursday, October 20, 2011

Freemasonry & Mixed Martial Arts - Aprons, Black belts, and Secret Handshakes

I know that this entry is going to make many of you (John) shake your heads in disbelief but give it a chance I think it will make sense.  In my travels online I came across a picture of a Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fight that was televised on HDNet this summer.  I admit to being a fan of MMA, especially on
late nights when I have the TV to myself.  If you look at the trunks of the fighter of the left, specifically at his left leg you will see the Square and Compass.

This was very intriguing to me, and immediately brought me to think about how the Masons need publicity like this.  Something sexy like the MMA will promote the organization and entice new members to join.  With excitement I did a quick Google search for; "Masonry, Mixed Martial Arts" and I came up with the following article.

Freemasonry & The Martial Arts - Michael Schiavello   You can click on this link and read the entire article, if you wish.

As I began to read it, my mind was swirling with thoughts of MMA fellowship nights that might be appealing to younger men.  But as I read it, I came to realize that the author was not suggesting MMA as a means of promoting Masonry.  Instead he pointed out that the similarities between Martial Arts and Masonry were numerous and he took both very seriously. He compared the Lodge Hall to a Dojo, our Apron to a Black belt, and our working tools to weapons.  But when I read "As any martial artist will tell you, martial arts is not merely about kicking and punching, just as Masonry is not about secret handshakes and passwords" I began to think more about the big picture and what Masonry meant to me.  Why did I join Masonry and more importantly why did the author join.  Fortunately he tells us; "as to why I wanted to become a Mason. This is what I answered: I once read a quote that Freemasonry makes good men better. I like to think that I am a good man but if there is a way to make me a better man, and that way is Freemasonry, then I want to be a part of it.”  

The author concludes the article with, "Just as martial arts is not just about kicks and punches (though they do play a major part), so Freemasonry is not about secret handshakes, signs and words (though they also play a part). Both martial arts and Freemasonry’s biggest similarity is, in my opinion, that both are designed to build character, develop the “Budo” spirit of martial arts and the “perfect ashlar” that is the Freemason’s aim, and make us all round better human beings."

So how do we get that word out to perspective members and successfully explain to them what we do and entice them to join?  I guess by striving to become better ourselves and offering the same to those worthy candidates who want to become a better men.


But just maybe... a Mixed Martial Arts demonstration by our DDGM at Saturday's  District Meeting wouldn't hurt either Neal.  "BE A WINNER!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment